Quick summary of consecutive records

Here’s a trick that I never knew existed! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you hold down your shift key to select consecutive records in a row, the summary bar will reflect only the summary for the records that you’ve selected!

Check out the video below to see this in action.

A few notes:

1. You can’t select non-contiguous records, which is where the trick loses some of its appeal.

2. You have to click within the actual field that you want to summarize (e.g. number field, currency field, etc.). In other words, it will only summarize for the column that you’re actively clicking in.

3. This is momentarily confusing, but if you click on just one record again, it defaults back to the summary for all the records again. This makes sense, but it takes a second to realize what happened.

I’ve done this trick by selecting records using the small hidden checkboxes between the row number and the primary field value. You can select consecutive records this way with shift+click and non-consecutive records with ctrl+click. It will also recalculate summary bar values for all fields based on which records are selected.

1 Like

Wait, you didn’t know this?! :upside_down_face: Lovely how Airtable can still surprise us. Doesn’t it also work when just select the records? No need to add shift I think?

I use shift+click so I can select a long range of records without holding down the mouse key, especially if I would have to scroll. As far as I can tell, it is the selecting that matters, not the technique used to select.

1 Like

Oh wowwww!! I never noticed this before!! This is incredible!

This is INFINITELY more helpful than my trick above!! :rofl: :joy_cat:

Thank you, @Kuovonne!! :sunglasses: :mechanical_arm:

I never noticed this before!! This has now opened up my entire world!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like