Omnibox searching for Interface

I have a couple interfaces I use for work, and often need to be able to find information quickly while I’m on the phone with a citizen. I found it cumbersome to have to search several fields, one at a time, to find what I was looking for. So I created an “Omnibox” field for searching.

The first thing I did was identify the fields I was searching the most, or would likely search in the future. I created a new field called “Omnibox”, made it a formula, and concatenated all the fields I wanted to search, with a space between each one.

Next, I added a filter to my interface. I connected it to the grid, and set the Data filter to show records where ‘“Omnibox” contains “________”’

Hit publish, and Viola! I can search the entire grid for whatever I need.

In this particular use case, I’m searching for plow and salt requests from citizens. This helps me verify a request exists, helps identify potential duplicates, and I quickly can check by address, issue, who was dispatched, who took the call, what route the request is in, etc.

You’re limited by your imagination here. Hope it helps someone.

5 Likes

This is a great technique that I have used with portals. One additional suggestion is to set up your filter with multiple conditions for the same {Omnibox} field so that people can search for records that contain a combination of terms that are not consecutive. For example, you might want to find a record that contains “happy” and “February” but the two words do not occur as a phrase.

1 Like

That’s a great suggestion. I haven’t run across a situation where I need to be able to do that so far, but may add one additional condition for that very reason. Thanks!

This is such a fantastic tip, @TSullivan! Almost everybody could benefit from this sort of implementation! Thank you for sharing this ingenuity with us!! :smiley: :raised_hands: