List your top Airtable feature requests here!

Oh, I see what you’re saying. You want to be able to edit the card without needing to open the card. That would be cool.

1 Like

Yes, having just the option to edit that single select field used for sorting the cards and perhaps being able to check a checkbox field that would in my case trigger an automation to change the single field selection, that what I see would be likely the most effective use for the cards given the nature of the cards.

Another item on my list is the ability to filter the type of field in the field picker.

That is in the box that opens up when I click on ### hidden fields button and the field picker opens up. I would like to be able to filter, say show me all fields that are lookup fields, or all checkbox fields etc. I do it right now kind of by assigning field name suffixes to each field I create, but that makes the field name unnecessary longer.

1 Like

would be great if we can “customize” the controls, when using the embed feature. example: i use a data table, embed, card format, and the controls are either on or off. they are annoying and distracting, as all we need a search feature to dig into the data items, with a nice results rendering. The web site search for the entire web, cannot and will not search “iframes” or any external links. that’s why a secondary data search would be great.

1 Like

Even worse, the embedding feature doesn’t work at all on mobile devices when it comes to those toolbar controls. The controls don’t show up at all on mobile devices! Two of my clients left Airtable for FileMaker, because they needed the toolbar to show up on their mobile devices.

CSV Import extension is works well, I would like to see in it, but the 2 features I would like to see there is:

1. At which line the import should start, starting with the header, or better yet, which line includes the header and which line starts with data.

2. Specify the field that will determine the lines with invalid data to skip (specify a field, which when it is empty, it means the record will be skipped)

Often CSV files include comment lines that can’t and shouldn’t be imported. The comments are on the top and on the bottom and sometimes there are summary lines that group individual lines.

If I was able to start import at a certain line (where header starts or 1st row of data stars) and plus if I was able to specify which field must have value in order for the record to get imported, I would get a beautifully perfect import of CSV almost 100% of the time.

Now the import works but if there are the comment lines or summary lines with invalid data, these need to be deleted manually after every import.

I know there are 3rd party services for CSV import (most of them paid after 3-5 lines of data in CSV), but Airtable CSV Import extension is good enough for most types of imports.

I’ve logged a new request within the Airtable Forums - Field Labels for Grid Views. They already exist for Form Views, and we absolutely need them for Grid Views, so they may be leveraged as Grid Views are embedded into websites.

Link to feature idea here;

1 Like

Also, to add onto this request, we really need the column headers to wrap text. For example, so many of my clients have gigantically wide checkbox fields that are just wasting space, just so they can read the field header.

5 Likes

Some parts Airtable main interface have some constrains because some things still look weird like if it was a nightly built of a 1.0 version release, like tables names cut on the right of that ribbon, can’t click them, can’t scroll them, and when I manage click them, the table I need is gone from the view.

But I see List view could offer a more aesthetically pleasing end-user version of the grid interface. Isn’t that the idea?

What I wonder will happen with the web-forms. Is Airtable going to make Interfaces an Enterprise plan only feature and fold the web-form and gallery into that? I am going to flip if that happens.

One of my biggest feature requests for Airtable is to give us the ability to copy a view configuration to as many other views as we want simultaneously.

As it stands now, Airtable only gives us the ability to copy a view to one other view at a time, and we also have to manually switch to each destination view that we want to copy the view to.

So it takes an extremely long time to continually switch to multiple different views in the entire base, choose the “copy view configuration” menu option again, manually check off all the checkboxes again, choose the originating view again, and then copy.

Then, we have to repeat that entire lengthy process again & again & again & again for every single view in the entire base that we want to change.

I’d simply like to start on the original view, and “push” that view’s configuration to as many other views that I choose.

2 Likes

Search function in comments.

I end up using comments to add unstructured notes to my records, stuff that I don’t need but want to make a note about. Because it works like a tape, just add more stuff, it is easier to use than adding comment to a text field in the record. I would like to see search there.

I wouldn’t expect Airtable tries anything close as far as this post goes… but nevertheless, I find it an interesting idea…
https://www.reddit.com/r/Airtable/comments/s1pf5e/comments_on_steroids/

I wish Airtable was able to bring to my attention when:

1. There is an error in the formula (exclamation sign beside the field name)
  2. The field result shows #ERROR

I like how subtly Airtable shows presence of comments in the record by the small number (although people with vision issues may find it challenging)

I wish Airtable was giving me a more visual similar notification if there are the 2 issues above. I have to search #ERROR to see if there are errors in the formula. If the formula function is broken, same thing, I have to look through the whole table.

Another place could be the Manage Fields tool to show which formula is broken and which resulting into #ERROR)

UPDATE: Correction - Manage Fields tool shows the broken formula error. Still I wish seeing that more prominently in Airtable main table interface. If there are 100’s of fields, it’s easy to overlook.

Set a default value in a number field.

Enable a prefill value in a form field.

I feel that better Token Based Searching is needed in Airtable. Let me try explain.

Let’s say I have a Linked Record Field, with some values representing various running events;

[ 'Handicap 5km - April 2021',
  'Pub Run 10km - March 2029',
  'Pub Run 5km - April 2028',
  'Pub Run 5km - July 2020',
  'Handicap 5km - March 2023',
  'Pub Run 10km - December 2023',
  'Handicap 5km - October 2021',
  'Handicap 5km - December 2021',
  'Pub Run 5km - March 2024',
  'Handicap 5km - April 2024' ]

When adding an event to a contender from an unfiltered list, the Search doesn’t seem helpful in this context;

In the above screenshot, I firstly type the year into the search which returns any result containing that year. Then I type the Month - but due to the way Airtable fails to tokenise my search, no results are found;

But clearly the result I’m looking for exists as “'Handicap 5km - March 2023”, it’s just that I’ve typed the year and month out of order - a typically behaviour of someone who’s searching for data.

You can do that. See https://support.airtable.com/docs/prefilling-a-form and also @Kuovonne has a wonderful freemium extension Prefilled Forms which works and with little skills you get most value out of it (Thank you @Kuovonne )

I assume you mean a form as a form and not a single select field perhaps or Interfaces form (which to my knowledge as of 2022 didn’t allow yet).

Dind’t work on a number field, but probably was a bug.

I’m familiar with prefilling forms, but how easy it would be to just select a value in the form iso creating endless URL’s.

New Request: FieldArray() and ReplaceLast() for Formula Field

Posted this in the official forums just now.

Space utilization - give more information to user about where the space is gone by field and by table.

Airtable only show the space consumed by base. How about telling the user which table consumes how much and perhaps even by field how much each field consumes.

And the best place to put this information is into the field manager tool on the top right (Manage fields view). There you have all fields listed so adding there a column showing the total space used by field would be a huge help.

As far as telling us which table consumes how much, I don’t want to speculate where would be good place to put it, perhaps on the billing page?
https://airtable.com/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/workspace/billing

I know you can look at the totals on the bottom of each field, but that takes a bit more time and then adding numbers up to know how much more I need to clean up to stay within the limit… It’s a bit more work than needs to be.

Are you talking about attachment space? You can set the summary bar for an attachment field to show the space used by an attachment field. Make sure that you don’t have any records filtered to see the value for the whole table. The summary bar will only show you the values for individual fields, though. If you have multiple attachment fields, you will need to add up the values manually.

It’s also possible to get this info through scripting. I’ll put this in my “base schema script helpers” when I get around to publishing them.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. That would be great if you could make a script to add up all all fields in the table to show the space.