Great to be Here!

Hi Everybody! I’m so excited that the best format is back!

5 Likes

I’m more of a lurking type, but that may change. I know all of you from the old forums but you likely wouldn’t recognize me.

For now, I just want to say hi and see if there are any more founders badges left. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to @julian.post and @AirBenderMarcus!! Great to have you here! :sunglasses:

And yes, I have given both of you founding contributor badges & titles! You can find these in your Preferences, under “Account”.

2 Likes

Welcome to this community!

I’m guessing you’re the same AirBenderMarcus who I’ve been talking with on the official forum?

If so, sounds like you are eager to learn and will fit right in.

It looks like you joined the official community after it changed platforms from Discourse to Khoros, so you never got to experience how much easier it is to have discussion on Discourse. You are in for a treat with Discourse.

1 Like

Hello folks,

I am loving it!

I really admired how measured and polite the whole community was in pointing out to Airtable that the new tool was painfully crap. Since user feedback got nowhere, it is great to see this bottom up initiative!

console.log("Markdown is back")

and :joy: seem to :hammer_and_pick: properly :tada:

Thank you to @ScottWorld and @Founding-Contributor

3 Likes

Welcome to the new community, @Greg_vonF!

Thank you for being here, and thank you for your kind words!! :upside_down_face:

Haha, yes, I think that everybody was incredibly & politely restrained! :wink:

In addition to everybody’s PUBLIC comments about the forum, behind the scenes, @Kuovonne and I were PRIVATELY giving dozens of suggestions to Airtable about their new “forum”.

99% of our suggestions fell on deaf ears.

So these new forums became the project that nobody ever wanted to undertake, but in order to preserve the Airtable community, it HAD to be done. We simply had no choice.

Haha!! Isn’t it wonderful?!? :partying_face:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for doing this. I only recently became active in the new community and am in awe of many of the names I’m seeing here. Looking forward to learning and growing along with all of you.

2 Likes

Welcome everyone! Great to see this new community take off :heart_hands:

3 Likes

Welcome, @o_mfg and @NathanielGranor! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hello little new world. :wave:
I bet you’ll grow fast

1 Like

I didn’t really kept it polite, though.

Thank you all for bringing this back.
I bet it’s going to be heard in no-code community, it’s not everyday that something like this happens!

3 Likes

Simply said like this:
Thank you @bfrench to have deployed this Community !
You gave a second airtable life to your Followers !

Because you and your closest friends in the way of seeing things taught us everything after we boarded airtable: to see things from above and ask the right questions before starting to create any base.
But also Integrate, Automate, talk to APIs, send or receive Webhooks using best practices by understanding what we are doing.
And also your technology watch or your comments about the others.
And finally your generosity since I was on board the Discord version of the airtable community, and your inimitable style!
Thanks a lot!
oLπ

Welcome to the community, @oLpY! :smiley:

Yes indeed, @bfrench is an absolutely invaluable member of the Airtable community, and we are very lucky to have him here! :cowboy_hat_face: :sparkles: It wouldn’t be the same without him!

However, I am the one who conceived of and deployed this community, and I am jointly financing this venture with @dan.

1 Like

So I congratulate you and thank you so much!

@bfrench : I would like to contribute even a little financially to this community if I can automate a modest monthly donation from a European bank account, without going through an in-between platform if possible.

Thank you @ScottWorld also for encouraging us to play a little with Integromat: since a few days I am subscribed to a CORE Plan on MAKE and I have a first scenario that runs for me!
It’s not vanilla javascript like Bill prefers (nor Python) but it helps me because working alone around airtable, I’m always short of time!

oLπ

2 Likes

Thanks, @oLpY!

That’s great to hear that you have been having a lot of success with Integromat/Make! :grinning:

It’s definitely my personal favorite tool, and I use it every single day with my Airtable consulting clients!

And the really great thing about mastering a tool like Make is that it doesn’t require Airtable at all. You can use ANY app on the Internet that has a REST API, and you will already have the skills to automate & integrate that app!

Hidden on Make’s website are these 11+ hours of partner training videos, which will help anybody become an expert in Make.

I’m planning on posting lots of Make content here in the forums in the future! :slight_smile:

Thank you for offering to financially contribute to this community! We haven’t yet setup any automated way for you to donate yet, but that’s a great idea!

1 Like

Ha ha! I love getting credit, but I only said the words “@scott - you should create a new forum in the sprit of the original one!”

2 Likes

Very powerful words, @bfrench!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Words may start fires, but nothing gets cooked without actions.

3 Likes

Aaah :smile: I had thought about it but as I didn’t feel I had the time to take a second Forum in hands (I already created one restricted to my color grading students using Github Pro Discussions as rowy.io did), I didn’t wish to suggest this task to anyone without taking an active part in its organisation and maintenance !

Oh great gift @ScottWorld :heart_eyes: !
As I had already manipulated Integromat between Airtable and Google Calendar in a bi-directional way, I started MAKE by playing with training videos on the theme “creating a web app with MAKE” including Webhooks, Web Response and Datastore to see if I could appreciate MAKE up to these extremes (which I had already solved in part with Google Apps Script HTML doGet and doPost) and I was happily surprised that it works even easier with MAKE ! and better in my opinion for the moment. It’s still under evaluation at home.
But proceeding in this direction, I had not yet studied / practiced MAKE at 360* Thanks for your link then! :muscle:

oLπ

2 Likes