New feature: set default value for a single select field

I was hoping that default values would be added to Grid Views and Form Views - I’m still trying to think of how I may leverage a Single Select default value that’s set at the field config. Keen to see how people may be using this new feature.

Thanks for being our news anchor, @Databaser ! :sunglasses: :raised_hands:

In an interesting decision, this works as an automatic pre-fill on forms, without needing to use a prefill URL.

Yeah, all of Airtable’s default values throughout the entire product are just static values that are set at the field value.

However, as far as I know, I don’t believe they work through the API or through automations, but I could be wrong about this. I think they only work when a human is involved.

• set tasks as to do
  • set year to 2023 for invoicing
  • set location for events
    …

Seems like a simplified version of the “template” feature.

Testing it further, it looks like a Grid Views grouping still acts as the active default for newly created records within a Group - but outside the group, the default Single Select is used.

I suspect some users don’t know about the Grid View Grouped “+” button below each group acts as a mechanism to add default values to newly created records within that group. It’s very useful.

2 Likes

Yes. Except if you have mulitple fields you want you want to fill in via default. You can only group so much :upside_down_face: