How do you track and manage your bases?

As Airtable has taken off in our organization it’s been difficult to keep track of all the bases growing in a number of Workspaces. Lot’s of you probably don’t have this issue for one reason or another, but I’m probably not the only one who wants an Airtable Base to track all my Airtable bases. What do you use to keep track of what’s in use, written by who?

1 Like

I made an Airtable base with a script that gets all my bases, then pulls all fields and views into its own table. Now I can sort them by Client, Dev/Prod.

1 Like

Nice. I was hopping for a hidden API/Feature . . . you never know. Pretty please could you share the script? Yes, I’m lazy, would rather not reinvent. It would get you numerous kudos in ‘Show and Tell’ and if we are ever at the same in person meet up (Dare table?) I’d buy you dinner.:sunglasses:

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I only track current projects. I don’t try to continue to track info for bases for past projects. I figure that someone else is going to mess around in the base since I last saw it and my info is going to become obsolete.

I also don’t keep a log of all the tables and fields in my bases. Whenever I tried, the info would get obsolete way too fast and it wasn’t worth maintaining.

Oddly, your question is at the intersection of search and DevOps, areas of functionality that Airtable has never demonstrated competence.

I recently built a system that tracks 600 bases. Confidentiality prohibits me from exposing the details, but read this, and then consider these points.

1. Each base is about something. Its meta information is extractable through several attributes, including but not limited to table names, descriptions, etc.
  2. AI embeddings help you instantiate meaning in a natural language context using whatever attributes and terms you care to collect.
  3. With a vector space of all bases, you now have a highly-focused knowledge base of all bases.

Vector spaces can be used for search using natural language. They can also be used for filtering like any other data store. And they can even be used in a hybrid fashion - e.g. …

“Show me all bases about accounting transactions; filter on keyword A/R”

Who here has religiously documented what bases and tables are about using the native Airtable fields? LOL. Now you have reason to do exactly that.

1 Like