Hyperlink kicked to the next line in email automation when I add font formatting

When I add a style attribute to format the font in an Airtable email automation, it kicks the hyperlink to the next line. Why is that? How can I keep it from doing that? See the screenshots below of what’s in the automation and what’s in email that’s generated.

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 1.57.24 PM
1xZhpAXbx1TGkUOY0UhImxPQU.jpeg)

Does the URL link actually work when you click on it in the email received? Wondering if there is something and interprets in the link as a line break.

Airtable and HTML is like oil and water, an unhappy couple. You can try to use preformatted text, to see if that helps. In my case it solved a lot of issues with embedding. Here is the structure I use for my Airtable formula and then fill in the rest:

One note though, check the " quotes. I am copy-pasting here but it seems there is a jumble-mumble of the quote styles below and Airtable only likes the one type of double quote or a single quote.

IF(".....start of the top part of the html code to keep formatting.....","","")&"<style>\n	pre {\n		overflow-x: auto; white-space: pre-wrap; white-space: -moz-pre-wrap; white-space: -pre-wrap; white-space: -o-pre-wrap; word-wrap: break-word;\n	}\n\n</style>\n\n<pre>\n\n\n<span style=\"font-family:Arial;font-size:16px;\">"&IF(".....end of the top part of the html code to keep formatting.....","","")

&
IF(".....BODY OF THE TEXT STARTS HERE.....","","")

&
IF(".....BODY OF THE TEXT ENDS HERE.....","","")

&IF(".....start of the bottom part of the html code to keep formatting.....","","")&"</span></pre>"&IF(".....end of the bottom part of the html code to keep formatting.....","","")

Thanks so much for responding!
Yes - the link works, just as expected. It’s just the appearance of being on a different line that I don’t like.
I’m sorry, but I don’t think I understand what you’re proposing with the If statements. What would I do to the email to get the hyperlink on the same line?

You can remove the IF statements, they are just comment lines. I add them so I can keep the code separate. The IF statements are just dummy formulas, they do not show up. You just type the text in between the "BODY OF TEXT STARTS HERE "… and “BODY OF TEXT ENDS HERE”.

Hi @leslieburke,

I have not seen this problem before on my end.

A couple of ideas for you:

1. Are there any invisible characters in between the words brief survey and [here.]?
    If you re-type that sentence entirely from scratch, does it make any difference?

2. It’s possible that your <p> tags (i.e. which are HTML tags) are somehow interfering with the markdown tags. If you remove the HTML tags, does it work then? Airtable might not like that you’re mixing & matching HTML and markdown.

3. To avoid the mixing & matching, what happens if you switch your link to HTML instead of markdown? The HTML version of your link would look like this:
    <a href="INSERT YOUR QUESTIONNAIRE LINK FORMULA FIELD HERE">here.</a>

1 Like